Cold winter nights? Looking for a hearty meal to feed your family? The moose stew recipe is one our family loves so therefore we make it regularly.
This is one of those recipes that falls into the category of comfort food.
Moose meat is naturally low in fat, and because it comes from the wild it contains no harmful chemicals or hormones. Moose meat is so low in fat that you often have to add some to prevent it from being dry. When we process our moose meat we do not add any fat to our mince, choosing instead to add fat when cooking as needed.
Moose Stew… Comfort Food for those Cold Winter Nights?
- Moose Round Steak 1-2 pounds – cut into 1 inch cubes Remove all fat, bones and silver skin from Round Steak. (This step is very important so as to reduce the wild game taste).
- 6 Cloves garlic (We feel there’s no such thing as too much garlic )
- 6 Carrots
- 1 Medium turnip
- 8 Medium Russet potatoes
- 1 Cup frozen peas
- 1 Large onion
- 3 Cups beef broth
- 1 Cup Red Wine (1/2 cup to drink)
- 1/2 Cup flour (thickening agent)
- 3 Bayleaves
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Water
Prepare vegetables by peeling the turnip and potatoes and dicing into bite sized pieces. Cut your carrots how you like them. We vary how we cut our carrots, sometimes choosing rings whiles other times cutting into long slices.
- In a skillet heat Olive oil over a medium low heat and cook onion and garlic until soft.
- Add meat and brown. Add water a little at a time and simmer until evaporated, repeat this step until the meat is almost cooked through.
- Add remaining ingredients, reserve peas.
- Simmer until vegetables are cooked, add peas.
- In a jar or mixing bowl, mix flour and 1 cup water to make thickening agent for sauce. Add to Stew and cook until thickened.
A variation of this recipe is to add some tomatoes. (Don’t tell my wife I said this! She doesn’t like stew with tomatoes… I don’t know why?) Anyway, if you add tomatoes, be sure to add about 1/2 teaspoon of sugar. The sugar cuts the acid of the tomatoes and makes for a more flavorful meal.
Serve with Fresh Bread
This recipe can also be done in a slow cooker. Add all the ingredients together, cook on low heat for about 7 hours or on high for 3 1/2.