4 Grouse cleaned. (Ask your butcher for oven ready birds)
Chipolatas Sausage wrapped in bacon
Crab apple jelly
- Preheat the oven to 210°C.
- Season the grouse well inside and out. In a hot frying pan add a little oil and brown the grouse on all sides, place in oven and roast for 12 minutes. (I like my grouse pink)
- Once roasted remove from oven and allow resting for 10 minutes.
- Serve the grouse with buttered runner beans, gravy and accompaniments.
- Runner beans should be cooked in boiling water for 4 minutes then sliced, tossed in butter and seasoned.
Chipolatas Sausage (optional)
- Wrap sausage in bacon and cook with grouse until golden brown
Half onion studded with one clove
100g white bread, crusts removed
Nutmeg to taste
Salt and pepper
1 tsp double cream
- Simmer milk with onion, clove and bay leaf then strain over bread.
- Stir until bread softens then add cream and season. Serve warm.
Vegetable oil for frying
- Slice potato on the criss-cross mandolin then rinse under cold water for 5 minutes.
- Pat dry and fry in oil at 160oC until golden brown and crisp.
Crab Apple Jelly
1.25kg crab apples
300g preserving sugar
- Place apples in a pan with water just covering them, then simmer until soft.
- Pour entire contents of the pan into a muslin bag and hang overnight to extract all juice.
- Once all juice is extracted measure juice out. For every 300mls juice add 225g preserving sugar then reduce to right jelly consistency.
- Check that the jelly is ready by spooning a little onto a cold plate and checking the set. (Do not over reduce or the jelly will set to hard.)
Click here to view original web page at thebeehivewhitewaltham.com