This ground venison goulash recipe is full of flavor and super simple – perfect for a weeknight dinner! Ground deer meat, savory sauce, spices, and cheese, combined with elbow macaroni for a deliciously easy ground venison recipe.
Traditional goulash can be bland and boring, but this venison goulash recipe is FULL of delicious flavors! I promise, this goulash recipe is elevated from its traditional counterpart, you’re going to love it!
- 1 1/2 cup dry elbow macaroni
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 pound ground venison
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 small white onion – chopped
- 5 oz. tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 5 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
How to make ground venison goulash recipe
- Boil the elbow macaroni, drain, then set aside.
- While the macaroni is cooking, add the olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the ground venison, minced garlic, and chopped onion, and cook until done. There shouldn’t be any excess grease to drain.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the cheese, including the cooked macaroni, to the skillet. Stir to combine; bring to a boil then reduce to low. Cover and simmer on low for 10-15 minutes, or until the mushrooms are softened.
- Remove the lid, add the shredded cheese, stir to combine, and serve immediately.
Recipe FAQs and Notes
What is goulash made of?
The core ingredients of most any goulash recipe is elbow macaroni, ground meat of some sort, typically beef, and tomatoes – whole, diced, paste, sauce, etc.
Can I use ground elk in place of ground venison?
Yes! You can swap in ground elk meat in this recipe and follow the directions just as you would with ground deer meat.
Is venison healthier than beef?
Venison contains about 50% less fat than beef, making it low in fat and high in protein.
- Swap in ground elk meat, if preferred.
- Spice up your goulash by adding in extra veggies like chopped green peppers, or kick up the heat by adding a dash of red pepper flakes!
Recommended kitchen resources for this recipe
Primal Pioneer participates in the Amazon affiliate program. Please see my affiliate disclaimer. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.